Monday, January 5, 2009

Something You Should Know

I must admit, I am actually excited to tell you that if you've read this much, then there is a couple of things that I should probably tell you about myself; EVERYDAY FOR ME IS THE BEST DAY OF MY LIFE and I am finally at the kind of place in my life where when I have a couple of bucks to walk to the store with, I am most likely going to come back with a chocolate milk and Rice Crispy Treat rather than a can of Sparks ac6% or maybe two. I wont walk, I'll stroll all the way home daydreaming about things I never thought I would be allowed to daydream about. I don't look behind me anymore, unless I have to, you know how it is. I am into things like making my mail lady laugh or talking politics with my UPS driver. Which probably best defines me as a hermit and if I am not with my little fish bowl kind of family then I have temporarily wandered off into a blizzard of epic proportions for some dill pickles and Ben and Jerrys ice cream for my baby cooking pod.

So I thought I would share with you an hour of my life, I feel very confident and secure that I am having a boy, so I had planned to find out for sure at the sixteen week visit to the OB/GYN. While I am explaining these plans to a friend named Alex that's the truest friend a guy could have, just your out right buddy, you know? He is a righteous homey, right there behind you , that's just how we roll. It's all about us.

But it could be argued that Alex is not always the college professor that he appears. But I don't remember reading anything on his resume saying that he graduated on the top of his class at State Penn or wait was that Penn State, I cant remember. But beyond that, is his inborn ability to have the best attitude available for the situation that we are currently in, you cant fade him and those of us that know him refer to him as Daffy Duck, because every stress or worry that hits his back goes right off of him like water off of a duck. I'll go anywhere with Alex he is a funny cat like an alley-cat you know how they can be, anyways over the years our heart to heart talks have been pretty good, but this one I will never forget.

So I tell Alex what my thoughts and plans are regarding the baby and he counters with everything he has learned about raising children and what it means to him. From minute zero beginning with his daughter Ryon being conceived to today with his son A.J. driving him crazy. One of his key points was whether or not to know the sex of the baby before its born, he asks me why would I want a Christmas present wrapped up and handed to me when I already know whats inside. Wouldn't I much rather receive a gift wrapped up that is also a surprise? Plus, every time Hanne says anything about it being a girl I shut her down immediately,which now that I write it kind of sounds rude, I hope I didn't come off that way, but shouldn't she have every reason to think it could be the daughter that she wants. We are both very excited and prepared for what we get blessed with, but if you have ever dreamed about having kids then you know what I am talking about.

Now while he is explaining to me his thought process, which most of the time is very basic and clear, rudimentary on occasion, but perfect in its simplicity, that's why I like talking to him. Now with that power of simplicity comes the curse of morality that sometimes gets real scary and now I am wandering off topic, so now, he is getting deeper in thought than I have ever heard out of him. And now on the phone this man is breaking down all that he has learned from his children and the life that he shares with them. I could never sit and try to summarize a man's lessons of life and inner most thoughts, unless I was asked to do a eulogy, but I can tell you that it seems to me that having children must make you smarter. It seems to make everyone much smarter than they were before, because my buddy that I know real well has gotten a whole lot more depth to him than he had before and if having kids is gonna make me smarter like it did Alex, then I am just going to keep having kids until my brain explodes like a sealed soup can in a microwave.

No comments:

Post a Comment